Furnace Repair and Air Conditioning Repair Vancouver, WA & Portland
A furnace repair or an air conditioning repair can range from a few hundred dollars to a couple thousand dollars. Sometimes it is better to repair your equipment and other times it makes more sense to replace it, but how do you know which is better? Here are a few guidelines on when you should repair your equipment and when you should replace it.
Furnace Repair or Air Conditioning Repair vs Replacement
Age of equipment, cost of repair, and efficiency are three factors you should consider when faced with a furnace repair or air conditioning repair. Generally speaking, If your furnace or AC is 12 years or younger you should lean more toward the repair side. 12-15 years is considered the grey area where you could go either way. 15 years or more is when you should consider replacing.
Other than age of the equipment, cost of the repair and the efficiency of your current furnace or AC are two additional factors you should consider when faced with a repair. If the unit is 10 years old and the cost of the repair equates to 50% of the price of a new furnace or AC then you should replace the unit. On the other hand, if the unit is 10 years old and the cost of the repair is only 10% of the price of a new furnace or AC then you should repair the unit.
Here are a few questions to think about when faced with a repair:
- How much is the repair at hand?
- How much is a new furnace or AC unit?
- How much could you save on your monthly energy bills by upgrading to a more efficient furnace or AC?
Here is an example of when you should replace you furnace or AC…The furnace repair or air conditioning repair is 50% of the cost of a new furnace or AC, the current unit is 15 years old, and you could save $100 on a month on your energy bill.
On the other hand, here is an example of when you should repair your furnace or AC…The air conditioning repair or furnace repair is only 10% of the cost of a new furnace or AC, the current unit is 5 years old, and you could save $10 a month on your energy bill.
These are questions you should ask yourself when faced with a repair. In the end, you will need to decide what makes sense for you. If you would like a quote on a furnace repair, air conditioning repair, or a quote on a new system give us a call at (360) 524-2880 or fill out a form online and request a free estimate.
HVAC and Furnace Repair- Portland / Vancouver WA Tips
- When you have a heating or cooling problem, first check the thermostat to make sure it has power and is set correctly.
- Check to make sure a breaker has tripped or a shutoff switch to the unit has been turned off.
- If the airflow seems reduced, check the filter. A clogged filter will block airflow and put an undue load on your system.
- HVAC and furnace systems need regular service and upkeep from a specialist just like your automobile. Set-up a regular semi-annual inspection and service of your systems to keep them in good operating order.