AC repairs are far from cheap and choosing the right contractor to perform the repair can be difficult. Here are five things to keep in mind when picking an AC repair contractor.
- Are they a Certified HVAC Contractor? There are plenty of people out there doing non-certified work with illegitimate business licensing. If a non-certified HVAC contractor performs work on your system it will void the warranties.
- How long have they been in business? If a contractor has only been around for a few years they might be gone in a few years. Make sure you choose a company that has been around for a while. If a contractor has been in business for fifty years there’s a good chance they will be around for a while longer.
- What’s their reputation? Make sure you look into a company’s reputation. Online review sites like Angie’st List, Google, and Yelp are a good place to start. Another reputation review tool is the Better Business Bureau. It is a good idea to review a contractor’s reputation before moving forward on an expensive repair.
- What’s their price? Assuming you are getting multiple bids, how do their prices compare to other contractors? Are they much higher, lower, or close to the same? Prices that are much higher or much lower than other bids may not be accurate. Keep in mind, the cheapest price may end up being the most expensive in the long haul.
- Do they warranty their work? Make sure you ask what kind of guarantees or warranties are offered for the repair. What happens if this stops working a week from now, a month, a year? I would encourage you to ask about warranty information before moving forward on an AC repair.